Digital Media

Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Recent technology adoption experience

When I became a UW student I started using Ctrax Media Player. The subscription is free for UW students and the service offers an extensive music library that students can listen to for free. To download the song to a portable device, subscribers pay 89 cents per song. The primary reasons I adopted this technology were (1) I wanted to listen to music that I did not own already and (2) It was free. This would be a content gratification. I wanted to listen to music. There might be some process gratifications as well. The site allows users to look through top picks and featured artists as well as recently added songs. But I usually search for a specific artist and then listen that way. The site also has videos, but I haven't explored that feature yet. Usually I have music on while I'm doing something else.

Ctrax recently updated its site so instead of streaming music directly from the site, the user must now download a ctrax player. The process is quick and simple and while it means one extra step for users, it means that once the player is downloaded you just click on the icon on your desktop and it opens up the ctrax site. Or if you're not connected to the internet you can still play your playlists or burn cds - though I haven't used these features. This allows users more ways to interact with the player - they're targeting a process gratification with the cd burning technologies and building of playlists. The download also helps lock in users to the technology. They've taken the time to download the player so now they might as well use it.

I think Ctrax is also working on some social networking applications. This would be a social gratification.

Ctrax relies on contracts with universities. The diffusion of the technology was reliant on the university contracting with the company. Through contracts, the technology can be diffused fairly rapidly because the university itself does much of the marketing for the device. The cost (free) also increases diffusion rates.

1 Comments:

  • 3. I also have accessed Ctrax, I think it is really practical for students because it is free! Cdigix cooperates with many US colleges in order to avoid students’ illegal downloading activities. I have no idea whether the ideation successfully prevent illegal downloading or not, but the advocacy of education and low-abiding concept is necessary and worthy of being encourage. Furthermore, I like the idea of “music on demand”, it allows audiences can listen to music at their convenient time. However, this kind of service limits music lovers cannot listen to music anywhere, they could only listen to music on their PC and laptop. If wireless mobile becomes poplar, users could listen to music online through their mobile, and the rate of using Ctrax may increase but it depends on various conditions.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 12/12/2006 3:23 PM  



<< Home